Remember

This weekend, we pause to give thanks for those who so bravely chose to give their own lives for our freedom. I remember as a kid that on Memorial Day weekend (and also July 4 and Veterans Day) our pastor would ask anyone who had served in the armed forces to stand.

From a very young age, I would always look around the room and gaze in awe at the men who stood. Even though it was a small church, there were men there who served in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. I would always end up staring at my grandpa, because I was most proud of him. There he would stand as we would all clap and honor the men who put their lives on the line for us.

Sometimes I'd ask him what it was like to serve, and he'd tell me stories of his time in the army. Those are the times I love to remember. I'm proud of men like him, men like my uncle David, who spent 20+ years in the army.

Thank a vet today, and pause long enough to say a prayer for the families of our fallen soldiers. For in Iraq, Afghanistan and many other places today, they are still serving and some are still paying the ultimate price.

0 Comments: