Taking the Long View

I read a powerful quote last week, and it's still resonating with me. The exact quote was this.

"Preachers think Sunday is coming and focus their efforts to prepare the message. Leader's think Jesus is coming and invest their efforts to prepare the people."

I can't get it out of my head, and the truth of the quote requires me to wrestle with the way I approach ministry. Instead of Preachers, you could easily substitute "Music Ministers," and for message, put in "music."

It forces me to step back and take the long view, not the short view. The short-term view is that we need to make sure everything is ready for this coming weekend, and that we all know what's going on, what our tasks are and what our role is supposed to be. And of course, that still remains true! But if we keep getting ready for Sunday, but never think where we are headed or where we want to be headed, like a hamster on it's wheel we can look really busy but never actually get anywhere.

So ask yourself this-am I more focused on preparing for this Sunday's service, or on preparing people? It's not an either/or, but instead a challenge to us to make sure we are taking the long view.

For your consideration.

-Andrew

0 Comments: