Worship Leader, or Leading Worship?


Ahhhh, semantics. Does it really matter if you flip the terms 'lead' and 'worship?' I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I've realized that it does matter.

You see, leading worship is a task inside the body of Christ. I've seen many people lead worship in many different venues. I can break down what it takes to lead worship into a simple checklist that almost anyone could follow. And perhaps you, the reader, have led worship before! Just as it's always a privilege to preach a sermon or teach a lesson, it's always a great honor to lead God's people in worship.

But not everyone who preaches is a pastor, not everyone who teaches is a teacher, and not everyone who leads worship is a worship leader. Let me explain...

Being a worship leader is not simply a task, but a shepherding role inside the body of Christ. It is a responsibility much greater than the musical portion of the service. Let me use an illustration.

You see, I've had some amazing experiences in my life. I've gotten to conduct a 80 piece orchestra before. I've directed a 300 voice choir. Those are tasks I've done. But if someone asked me if I could be a middle school band director, I would absolutely say "No way!"

Could I direct the middle school band at a concert? Sure! But being the director is much more than just that moment of concert. It's weeks of teaching proper technique, rehearsing that group of people, loving on them and challenging them to grow. It's encouraging them after the concert and then working on the areas that were revealed as weaknesses. And then you do that again and again, sorta like 'shampoo, rinse, and repeat!"

Because it's a shepherding role and not a task, it would be cocky of me to say that I'm qualified to be a middle school band director just because I can direct a band. And similarly, I must ask myself each week if I'm leading worship or if I'm a worship leader. Is this a task I'm completing or a role I'm embracing?

Because at the end of my season here on earth, I don't want to be someone who only completed tasks. I want to be found faithful in shepherding and discipling God's people!

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree.... good word.