Electronics and Stolen Memories

I wonder about this a lot. No matter how much we push back, it still feels like more and more of our time is consumed with electronics. How much time each week do I devote between the television, cell phone, video game system and computer? Unfortunately, I'd rather not know because I'm scared of that number.

Chrissy and I promised each other that when we got married we would stay off Facebook, Myspace and instant messaging. Not because those things are intrinsically evil, but because it's incredible how much time can be sucked by those things. I personally can't own a video game system, because I can't stop after one level-there's a part of me that just wants to continue to conquer and discover.....one more level. And the next thing I know, hours go by.

Lately I've found myself completely engrossed by my phone and all that entails. Cell phone apps, games, texting, etc. It took my wife mentioning it to me for me to realize that these things made of silicon, wires and screens are taking me away from socially connecting with people in a real way.

In the last 10 years, I can't think of any good memories I've had while surfing the net, reading news sites, or IMing. Instead, my favorite memories are shared experiences, trips taken with family or friends, and new places that were explored! I don't think I've ever fondly looked back on that one episode of that one show I liked as a great memory....

But minutes and hours go by, often spent with electronics, and now I'm 31. All those moments are gone, never to be lived again. And now, as I stand here looking ahead into the future, I'm wondering not how many memories I've missed already, but if I'll miss out on meaningful memories in the future because I'm too busy in my own world. Blogging, twittering, gaming, surfing, watching a screen.

I want to look back in the end and never regret. I want to always play ball with my son, or take that walk around the neighborhood with my wife. I want my memories.

1 Comment:

Curtis Copeland said...

Speeled yur nam rite. And back linked to your web....